Information Conch Shells:
- Female Conches can lay up to thousands of eggs. They start to emerge in about 5 days and they swim to currents and stay there for up to a month before touching the sea floor.
- During the first year of a conchs life, Conchs live under the sand during the day and come out to feed during the night.
- The queen conch lives an average life up to 7 years only, but are known to live up to 20 to 30 years.
- Conch shells can produce pearls that are the colours White, Brown, Orange and pink.
- Conchs only eat tiny marine plants because their mouth is to small to fit in any thing else.
This is one of the things that conch shells are coming used by
Many people in the islands are making money from the conch shells. By selling jewellery made by them. Tourists who have never seen a real conch shell are mostly buying them.
People are often finding the conch shells in shallow water. They are starting to get endangered. Also because people are eating the inside of the conches for food.